I’ve been using this same recipe since November 1995. How do I know this? Because I have the old, stained magazine sitting next to me. I pull it out every year and know that the turkey will be perfect. Every year I also stick post it notes with times so that the next year I have a rough estimate on when to put in oven, etc.
- One 20- to 21-pound fresh whole turkey, giblets and neck removed from cavity and reserved
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- One 750-ml bottle dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry red or white wine, for gravy (optional)
Follow the directions: https://www.marthastewart.com/353184/perfect-roast-turkey